Thank you for signing up for HRF Connect!
As a church, we use the social media platfom Slack to serve as our way of communicating with both members and friends of Hampton Roads Fellowship. It serves as a great way to reduce email while allowing members to control how they receive the information that is sent to them and to try to avoid the mix of texts, emails, and other messages that were previously making up a web of communication.
Here are just a few helpful tips to help you get started with HRF Connect:
- If you havent done so already, you can sign up for HRF Connect by visiting the HRF Connect signup page here.
- Once you sign up, you'll be asked to enter your first and last name and your email address. No need to add a display name but please do add a pic to your profile.
- You can access HRF Connect both on your mobile devices and also on your computer by downloading the Slack app here.
- Once you login, you will notice that you are in the #hrf-announcements channel. This channel serves as a way to post announcements that are relevant all those that are connected to HRF. Please make sure you check these messages regularly as they serve to keep you best updated with what is going on within HRF. (FYI: Members are not able to post in this channel.)
- If you are currenlty in a Fellowhip Group, you will be added to that Fellowship Groups channel by the FG Leader. If you need to be added sooner, just send a Direct Message (DM) to @hrf.
Setting Notification Preferences
One of the greatest advantages of using the Slack platform is that every person control how they choose to reveice notifciation.
The next step is to set how you would like to be notified of posts. Here is how to set that up:
- Go to your preferences menu in your Slack app.
- Set your notifications to either "All new messages" or "Direct messages, mentions & keywords". This means that you will either be notifed of every message that is posted of only those that use your @name or DM. You should still see a notification that you have unread messages on your app icon with a dot. If you dont, check to make sure your notifications are set up correctly. DM @hrf if you need any help.
- Make sure the "Notify me about replies to threads I'm following" box is checked.
- Add your name to the "My Keywords section like this: First name, Last Name (This will help to notify you if someone uses your name without the @ symbol).
- Set your Do Not Disturb time frame. This means that during the time frame you set, you will not be notified of any messages.
If you would like an easy way to remember a message that is posted, you can click star on the message and access it later by viewing your starred messages.
If at any time you have questions about how to something in Slack or running into problems, simply send a DM to @hrf and we will respond soon to help you as best we can.
Thank you again for using HRF Connect with us. We pray that it is a helpful tool for all of us as we seek to stay informed and in communcation with one another.